Belfast Photo Festival: 2017 Open Submission
Belfast Photo Festival
17th March 2017
Belfast Photo Festival
17th March 2017
What you win
All submitting photographers will benefit from:
• Submission review by Photo Industry Professionals
• Opportunities for Immediate Exposure (e.g. across festival / partner social networks)
Between 20 and 40 photographers/artists will benefit from:
• awards and cash prizes (See Awards listed below)
• exhibition exposure at the Festival’s main city centre gallery
• inclusion in the special Festival issue of Abridged Magazine
• longer term Festival representation and promotion
• exhibition alongside some of the biggest photographic names as part of the major photographic event
• publication and inclusion in the Festival programme
• inclusion in the Festivals marketing & PR campaign, which has an estimated reach of 20+million
• international press exposure
• being seen by a substantial number of visual arts professionals and the media
• dedicated feature on the Festival website and online gallery
• opportunities offered for exhibition and publication through festival partners
Applicants will have their work viewed by an international panel of influential experts in the field of photography, plus have the opportunity to win awards and a significant cash prize.
Spotlight Award - £1,000
One Years Free RPS Membership – Free membership for one year to the prestigious Royal Photographic Society
Blow Editorial Award – Full editorial presentation in an upcoming issue of Blow photography magazine (Lucie Award shortlisted)
Abridged Editorial Award – Presentation in a special Festival issue of Abridged Magazine
A number of finalists will be offered the opportunity to have their work produced by the Festival for exhibition outdoors
- Lucy Gallun – Assistant Curator: MoMA (Museum of Modern Art), New York
- James Estrin – Co Editor: Lens (The New York Times), New York
- Elisa Medde – Managing Editor: Foam, Amsterdam
- Michael Mack – Director: MACK Books, London
- Emily Graham – Cultural Commissions: Magnum Photos, London
- Tom Seymour – Digital Editor: British Journal of Photography, London
- Ciara Hickey – Curator: Belfast Exposed Photography Gallery, Belfast
- Kevin WY Lee – Creative Director: Invisible Photographer Asia, Singapore
**Due to popular demand and to help those struggling to meet the deadline, we have extended it to the 17th March to give you some extra time. There will be no further extensions, this will be the final deadline.**
Belfast Photo Festival is offering artist's/photographer's the opportunity to exhibit their work in the main Festival gallery alongside some of the biggest names in the field, with a number also having the opportunity to be featured in the arts magazine Abridged. The winners will be eligible for a number of awards, including a cash prize of £1,000.
The theme has been left open to remove any restrictions; submissions must be photographic or lens-based but can include incorporations of other art forms with the photographic medium (i.e. performance, painting, sculpture, music, literature etc).
Individuals and collectives are welcome to apply; individuals should select and enter between 2-6 photographs from a particular series or body of work AND/OR submit their Photo-book for exhibition by uploading a single PDF (no image limit).
(Note: You can submit both a photo-book and photographs of the same project, but a fee will need to be paid for both. If submitting only a Photo-book and not photographs, it will be your photo-book that will be selected for presentation and not photographic prints for exhibition)
Collectives are also welcome to apply; as a collective, you can submit up to 10 photographs (a £19 submission fee will apply for every 10 images submitted)
By submitting you accept the following terms and conditions:
• You may submit more than one series/body of work/photo-book at an additional £19 (administration fee) per series/body of work/photo-book
• All image copyrights remain the property of the submitting photographer/artist
• To supply all photographs/photo-books selected for exhibition, printed and professionally presented (Photographs: framed/mounted, Photo-books: Bound) ready for hanging (For individuals that require their work to be printed/framed/mounted in Ireland, the Festival will provide help/assistance in making the necessary arrangements on behalf of the photographer/artist.)
• Insure the requested prints/photo-books are suitably packaged and reach the Belfast Photo Festival by 18th May 2017, ready for hanging/display (if required)
• Insurance of all prints/photo-books remain the sole responsibility of the submitting photographer
• You agree to your selected prints/photo-books being taken on tour
• Photographer finally selected for exhibition may be included within relevant promotional material for the Festival
• The returning of prints/photo-books to the owner after exhibition is the sole responsibility of the photographer, however the Festival will facilitate the return of work
• Winners will be announced on the Belfast Photo Festival and Hiive websites and contacted by e-mail
• The decision of the Jury will be final
* If selected, you agree to supplying high-resolution digital files of the submitted images for the Belfast Photo Festival to produce the photographs for outdoor exhibition/presentation during the festival period.
You can view and download a copy of the Full terms and conditions through Hiive.
How to apply
You will need to complete the application form, by clicking the apply button at the top of the page (the apply button will only be displayed to logged in users) and pay the entry fee via the Pay now button below:
You can pay the fee without creating a PayPal account. If you apply without paying the fee your submission will be ineligible and the judges will not see it.
(The submission fee charged is in aid of the 2017 Belfast Photo Festival and directly contributes to the organisation and delivery of the Festival for the benefit of all participants. Belfast Photo Festival is a charitable non-profit organisation.)
If this is your first time on the platform, you'll need to register to be able to apply.