SHORT CUTS is Shooting People’s career development focused film competition. Prizes include £1000 in film funding, industry mentoring, filmmaking equipment and packages.
Shooting People members can submit to any round for free. Not a member? Join the community now for a year at 50% off using the SHORT CUTS discount (*£19.95/yr).
(* Discount offer expires Jul 31st. SP membership is normally £39.95 a year)
There will be four rounds to the competition starting in January, April, July and October. The overall winner will be selected by the BAFTA winning and Oscar nominated producer Stephen Woolley (Carol, The Crying Game), and announced at an awards ceremony in January 2019.
Round winner prizes include industry mentorship from:
- BFI NETWORK
- Creative England
- Channel 4 Random Acts
- Wildgaze Films
As well as filmmaking gear and prizes from:
- Rode VideoMic Pro+ Microphone.
- Blackmagic Design Davinci Resolve Software.
- Final Draft 10 Software.
- A Year's Membership to Close Up Film Centre.
- A Year's Picturehouse Membership+'.
- A Year's Subscription to MUBI.
- A lifetime Shooting People membership.
- A screening of your film at a Shooting People event in a London cinema, as well as further promotion from SP.
The overall winner will receive the above prizes plus:
- Mentorship from producer/director Ian Bonhôte (Co-Founder of Misfits Entertainment & previously Pulse Films).
- Mentorship from the BAFTA winning and Oscar nominated producer Paul Webster (Founder of Shoebox Films, Atonement, Eastern Promises, The Motorcycle Diaries).
- Production support from SP on future projects.
- £1,000 film funding.
Should your film be selected, you give us permission to screen your film individually or as part of a package at the Short Cuts events, and any subsequent screening over the next 12 months.
Submitting a film gives us permission to use the publicity stills provided in SHORT CUTS’ marketing and publicity.
- Submission periods for each round open in: Spring - January 1st-31st, Summer - April 1st-30th, Autumn - July 1st-31st, Winter - October 1st-31st.
- Each round is open for submissions for 1 month.
- 1 month after submissions close, 6 longlisted films will be announced.
- 1 month after the longlist is announced, 3 shortlisted films will be sent to a filmmaking patron who will select the winning film.
- The season winner will be announced at the end of the month and screened at a Shooting People event.
- The overall winner will be announced at an awards ceremony at the end of the year.
How to apply
Submissions are open to shorts up to 30 minutes in length. We accept films of any style, genre or format, films of all countries*, production techniques, forms and budgets.
The primary contact completing the submission process must be authorised to submit the film for consideration. This includes permission from a distributor or sales agent representing the film and the applicant must have obtained necessary permissions for the inclusion of any copyrighted music and/or images used within the film. Shooting People WILL NOT hold responsibility for any copyright infringement.
Submitted films can be password protected or public. Six longlisted films per season will be uploaded to the SHORT CUTS website, unless the filmmaker states that they do not want their film viewable online. The winning film from each season will be screened at a live event, so films must be available to screen publicly.
You may enter one film per season. Each entry requires a separate submission form and separate upload. You cannot resubmit the same film into multiple seasons.
Entry fees are not refundable.
*Entrants should be aware that many of the prizes, particularly the mentoring opportunities and UK cinema memberships, will only be available to entrants based in the UK.
For all enquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.