The Old Vic is London’s independent not-for-profit theatre, a world leader in creativity and entertainment. Today, Artistic Director Matthew Warchus is building on 200 years of creative adventure, with The Old Vic recently being hailed as ‘London’s most eclectic and frequently electrifying theatre’.
The Old Vic 12 is an extraordinary opportunity for 12 developing artists looking to make the next step in their careers. The scheme will offer them opportunities to expand networks, receive first class mentoring and benefit from a prestigious association with The Old Vic through an attachment to this iconic building. The selected 12 will also receive a grant to create and develop three brand new plays to be presented at The Old Vic.
This year we are opening up three places to collaborators of any discipline: designers, composers, DJs, lighting designers, movement directors, illusionists and literally everything in-between; if you’re interested in collaboration and new plays, we want to hear from you. Applicants should be creating their own work on the fringe, assisting established practitioners, or working at the equivalent level, and feel that they would benefit from a structured year and attachment to a building. If applicants have not yet had the opportunity to work on a theatre project, they should have demonstrated a previous commitment within their chosen field.
From October 2017 till August 2018, the creative collaborators will connect with The Old Vic as part of The Old Vic 12, and contribute to the development of three new plays as part of the scheme.
The Old Vic will be hosting a series of free workshops for potential applicants in a range of venues around the UK. These networking sessions will provide an opportunity to hear more about the programme, meet members of The Old Vic team, the team at Hiive and members of the current Old Vic 12.
London, The Old Vic - Tuesday 15 August, 2-4pm
London, The Old Vic Workrooms - Tuesday 15 August, 7-9pm
Edinburgh, Assembly Checkpoint, Saturday 19 August, 4.15-5.30pm
Midlands, Birmingham Repertory Theatre, Friday 25 August, 2-4pm
Winners will receive:
- An award of £1,500 to cover time working on the commission and additional aspect of The Old Vic 12
- A budget of £1,500 to spend on your creative development (purchase equipment/attend a training course)
- A series of development opportunities, including high level workshops and collaborative sessions
- The prestige of being an artist on attachment with the Old Vic and being one of The Old Vic 12
- Support and mentoring from Old Vic Staff and Associates
- Invitations to Old Vic meetings, press nights, special events and workshops throughout the year
- The opportunity to collaborate with other emerging practitioners
- Act as a consultant to the writers, directors and producers during the development of three new plays, offering ideas from your creative discipline and contributing in some way to the final presentation.
- Attend meetings and workshops with other members of the Old Vic 12 and The Old Vic Staff during the development process
- Deliver a creative workshop to 20-25 artists who are at an entry level for their careers
The Old Vic team will be judging the competition, with assistance from a panel of industry figures.
Candidates invited for interview will be contacted the w/c 18 September. Interviews will take place w/c 23rd October and short listed candidates will also be invited to attend a series of free development workshops w/c 9th October at The Old Vic Workrooms.
How to apply
Click the apply button in the top right hand corner of the page.
If you're not already a Hiive member, please hit 'Register' in the top right corner, it's free to join and only takes a few minutes to sign up.
Once you're signed up you'll see a red box in the top right corner, hit 'Apply' and fill out the form.
Got a question? Have a read of our FAQs and if you don't find your answer, pop a comment below and we'll get back to you asap.
You can download a practice application and view the previous longlisted and shortlisted applicants in our Old Vic 12 Swarm.
Self-Employed Actor, Movement Director and Creative collaborator
Playwright and theatremaker
Abigayle Hope Bartley
Musician / Vocalist / Music Producer / Visual Artist / Voice-Over Artist / Radio Producer / Presenter